[Draft] Constitution: Let's write it together

This is a call to action.
This is an open invitation for those, who feel so guided, to take part into shaping the future of the protocol.

This is an attempt to gather good comments throughout the forum into one place, and - hopefully - into a unified approach to governance.

Kindly write your suggestions in the comments below.

Constitution

Article I "Proclamation"

Sushi is a state. Sushi is a mission. Sushi is an ethos. Sushi is a soul. Sushi is of the people, for the people. Make it so in structure and thought.
Rainbowpuffpuff

Article II "Authority"

Community holds ultimate authority. It may exercise it through snapshot voting and by granting mandate to elected individuals.

Article III "Mandate"

The mandate is a measure of trust the community extends to elected individuals.
The mandate is tracked in real time.
When support for an elected individual falls below 51%, any votes they cast are null and void, as they are not representative of the will of the community.
When support falls below 30%, emergency elections are called.

Article IV "Voting"

The community recognizes two types of voter tallying:

1. The quorum - when ballots have more than “approve/reject” options.
  2. Tacit approval - the proposal is approved by default, if community does not generate sufficient opposition within allotted time.

Standard voting period is 7 calendar days.
Expedited voting period is 4 calendar days.

Proposals that are talllied on the basis of tacit approval can not have a voting period, that is less than 7 calendar days.

Article V "Elected Individuals"

All individuals that are appointed through the vote of the community for full-time employment are considered as Elected Individuals.
All Elected Individuals are entitled for the compensation for their work.

Firing of an Elected Individual is done through snapshot vote.

Voluntary resignation of Elected Individual is effective immediately and does not require snapshot vote.

Article VI "Autonomy"

The community recognizes the cravings of Elected Individuals for autonomous operation.

The community grants autonomy of management of any subordinate employees that are not Elective Individuals.

Transparency is the payment for autonomy.

The community expects a written statement within 14 calendar days of hiring/firing subordinates.

Article VII "Governing bodies"
[complete structure to be done, based on the progress in Samurai/Arca proposal]
[Important: Governance council should be able to introduce binding vote]
[will be the biggest section; needs definite and exhaustive list of rights and obligations]

Article VIII "Treasury management"
Section I "Treasury"
All expenses from the treasury are approved by the community on scheduled calendar basis or in special provisions.

Community may employ the services of a Treasurer (either an Elected Individual, or a DAO), tasked with diversification of a portion of the treasury.

Community may employ the services of an Accountant to gather and produce detailed calendar [frequency to be determined] reports on the income and expenses of the treasury.

Section II "Operational expenditures"

In the spirit of autonomy, the community establishes an operational expenditures funds to be managed by Elected Individuals.

Elected Individuals are to produce a report, detailing all income and expenses incurred for the calendar month, within 21 calendar days of the following month.

Failure to produce receipts invokes sequestering of the funding.

Article IX "Operating in legal spaces"

A business services company, which acts as an agent for the DAO to sign contracts to purchase services is formed. The company raises invoices to the DAO, receives payment in crypto, pays tax on its income and deducts its expenses.

Governance can and should remain fully decentralized and on-chain.
BowTiedIguana

Community recognizes the value of decentralized naming services like Handshake Protocol and decentralized hosting like SIA that enable direct DAO ownership of sushiswap interface.

Community raises the importance of maintaining censorship-resistant instances of sushi frontend.

Article X "Accountability"

Elected Individuals are to select at least 1 hour per 14 calendar days to address the community on a specially tracked “AMA” channel on discord.

Repeated failure to communicate with the community is a breach of the mandate.

Non-disclosure agreements are forbidden.

Article XI "Code of Conduct"

Elected Individuals are bound by the Code of Conduct.
[waiting on Nori to produce their version to fuse with the one community proposed]

Embezzlement of funds is a breach of mandate.
Working for competing DAO, while on full employment is a breach of mandate.

Article XII "Disputes and Mediation"

The community allows for 3rd party mediation, as long as all aggrieved parties agree to be bound by its decision.

The cause and outcome of mediation may be private in case of successful resolution.

The parties involved are to notify the community that a mediation (and its outcome) has taken place within 14 calendar days of the event

The treasury may pay for mediation, but the cause and result become public.

If no consensus reached – public hearings are called and community votes on resolution.

Article XIII "Sanctions and enforcement"

Breach of community mandate initiates public hearings.

Contempt for the community is a breach of mandate.

Repeated breach of the mandate is sufficient cause for new elections.

Community may employ solutions like Optimistic Approval or DictatorDAO [spelling?] to safeguard the treasury or governance process.

Article XIV "Interim provisions"

Approval of this constitution triggers the following:

1. Audit the spending of OPEX fund.
  2. Audit the treasury.
  3. All currently employed individuals, that seek to remain employed, are asked to produce a 5-sentences (or more) memo as response to following questions:
  • What is your favorite/hardest challenge (or bug) that you encountered during your employement at sushi?
  • How did you solve it?
  • Link to your github profile (if applicable) detailing your activity
  • Commendation letter from your team leader (if applicable, in case of inability to produce answer to the above questions).

Inspiration:
This forum
Constitution Making Handbook
“Governing the commons” by Elinor Ostrom.
If you reading this - thank you for your time.
Please comment.

whelp, at least I can say I tried

17 Likes

havent even finished reading but i see constitution and you know for sure i am HYPED
you mean we wont have TYRANNY in place anymore? tyranny means rule while unconstrained by rules or regulations in place

In all seriousness, I think this is very cool, and I think that this should be promoted by the community and that POAPs should be awarded for contributions made to this post and for later amendments voted on to the constitution
Looking forward to see the process develop and to take part in it

Amendment to Article I

Sushi is a democratic and social state. Sushi is a mission. Sushi is an ethos. Sushi is a soul. Sushi is of the people, for the people. Make it so in structure and thought. All state authority is derived from the people. It shall be exercised by the people through elections and other votes and through specific legislative, executive and judicial bodies. The legislature shall be bound by the constitutional order, the executive and the judiciary by law and justice. All Sushi shall have the right to resist any person or entity seeking to abolish this constitutional order if no other remedy is available.

To be honest I just realized that you put in Article 1 as a quote from me, which is super touching :cry:
And then I realized that before even reading Article 1 I already went to the german constitution to find a strong willed democratic approach to the legitimacy of the people and of the constituting documents that make up their collective will

I’ll come back with more contributions, e.g. related to the process and not rushing it and promoting it on twitter and discord, thanks for doing this, thanks so much

3 Likes

also liking the AMA requirement, self disclosure is insanely cool
damn, even has a mediation article, this fundamental law stuff you wrote down is actually based ngl

looking forward to the code of conduct, that was some cool stuff developing already in sushi, if added in the fundamental law of sushi within this constitution, would be pretty dope imho

2 Likes

This is exactly what is needed to end the madness. Sushi DAO should be treated as a constitutional republic. If sushi wants to survive the hostile takeover attempts and infighting, this is the way forward.

“We the people, elect leaders not to rule but to serve” - Dwight D. Eisenhower

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to reply :slightly_smiling_face:

Originally, I tried to post a link to the comments that I used as content for the articles, but settled on mentioning the user that made it, to improve readability of the proposal.

I wasn’t sure if this distinction is applicable to whichever structure the community ends up approving. This will likely be addressed in “Governing bodies” article that is yet to be formulated.

Yes. The right to fork (c) is a good idea. Probably deserves its own article (or added as a section to “Authority”).

Good working examples are much appreciated. We should adopt the articles to our cause.

My naïve hope is that the vista of inevitable transparency is a good safeguard from ill intent.

As long as elected individuals are kept in check, this indeed might be an acceptable path forward. Thanks.

From the questions on discord, here is a more detailed description of a real-time mandate.
I was inspired how the audience is polled live during a debate tv show.

They are given consoles to continuously update their leanings towards the speaker (a handle from "do not support to support).

Originally, I hoped for each voter to have 10 points to allocate as support for each Elected Individual.

But it can be as easy as binary i.e. simple support or do not support.

Initial support is established during 14 days after a candidate is approved.
This is done to establish the snapshot of active voters for each Elected Individual.

After 14 days passed, voters from the snapshot are able to withdraw their support for any reason.

If the number of voters that withdraw support renders the score of Elected Individual to be less than 51% percent. The mandate is halted. And community hearings are called to address the issue. Less than 30% triggers emergency elections.

Every quarter, we should have a ‘votum of confidence’, where the people, who missed previous voting can add their wallets to the real-time mandate tracking. This will ensure regular participation of the community.

As an example of viability of decentralized hosting (as stressed in Article IX), here’s 1inch deploying their app on SIA.
https://blog.sia.tech/1inch-integrates-with-homescreen-8146f7971aad

I think something that should be considered is some kind of emergency powers. We need to be prepared for regulation from the US and that kind be politically hostile and dealing with US regulators requires tact. Just something to consider.

“Article IX - A business services company, which acts as an agent for the DAO to sign contracts to purchase services is formed. The company raises invoices to the DAO, receives payment in crypto, pays tax on its income and deducts its expenses.”

Why do all proposals involve some form of a business services company? Wouldn’t it be possible to solve the issue with the community multi-sig? This seems like an imprudent open attack vector. A redundant one. What am I missing?

In order to pay bills, vendors, etc There need to be something to take that on legally instead of mixing funds with people’s personal accounts like now. Who’s going to pay for the tools we use such as Figma, Dovetail, etc Typically some sort of business account tied to a real entity

5 Likes

Hi @Graine - thanks for taking the time to create a baseline and a “playbook” for the Sushi community

I enjoyed the consistent formatting as well as you paying homage to your inspirations:

Pretty cool you the time to read and reference books. Our industry should do this more often.

I had a quick question about Article III below:

How do you plan to track this? It seems to require lots of participation from the community which is hard to guarantee.

If this does not require a certain amount of participation, it is very easy to fall below both these thresholds.

3 Likes

I wish Elinor lived to see defi in all its glory: curve wars and vampiric liquidity - game theory made flash. I’m sure there’d be enough material for another book or two. Her insight would’ve been invaluable. Hopefully, some other prominent scientist will take interest in the field. Hernando de Soto, perhaps? After all, blockchain is ideal for safeguard property rights, and enforcing the algorithms of communal governance on a protocol level.

here is a more detailed description of a real-time mandate.
I was inspired how the audience is polled live during a debate tv show.

They are given consoles to continuously update their leanings towards the speaker (a handle from "do not support to support).

Originally, I hoped for each voter to have 10 points to allocate as support for each Elected Individual.

But it can be as easy as binary i.e. simple support or do not support.

Initial support is established during 14 days after a candidate is approved.
This is done to establish the snapshot of active voters for each Elected Individual.

After 14 days passed, voters from the snapshot are able to withdraw their support for any reason.

If the number of voters that withdraw support renders the score of Elected Individual to be less than 51% percent. The mandate is halted. And community hearings are called to address the issue. Less than 30% triggers emergency elections.

Every quarter, we should have a ‘votum of confidence’, where the people, who missed previous voting can add their wallets to the real-time mandate tracking. This will ensure regular participation of the community.

Ideally this is done as a smart-contract or a modification of a snapshot system, where all votes are recorded.
Granting (or withdrawing) the support is as easy as signing a message via your wallet of choice.

This would give those, who are willing to take part in the active governance of the protocol, a clear mechanism of doing so.

2 Likes

Article XV "Budget process"

Elected Individuals propose and the community reviews and adjusts the budget.

The budget is approved through a snapshot vote.
[more specifications to be added, based on content of pending proposals]

a few more articles, and this exercise in futility will be finished.

1 Like

is it ever gonna finish? or is it just beginning? sushi is a little over a year old
what you have been building will be taken and used/reused/recycled/voted or shelved away for epochs to come <3

Cool idea! I :heart: it. Have you considered putting this under revision control?

1 Like

From my understanding of the problem at hand, there are at most 3 articles to be added.
Unless someone decides to continue updating it for whatever reason - it is done already.
“shelved away for epochs to come” is about right.

Not sure, if I understand.
If you mean a github-like system that tracks every change and commit to the document - yes, that would be great for transparency.
Me publishing this in the public forum is an invitation for other people to revise, adjust and vote on the articles present to synthetize guidelines that serve the community most.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s correct. It’s also easier for someone to submit a change as a pull request and keep track of revisions over time. I guess it’s probably worth considering if this is supposed to be a living document that changes over time.

4 Likes

Article XVI "The Right to Fork"

Elected Individuals in the position of authority, derive their powers from the consent of the governed.

Whenever any form of government violates this consent, it is the right of the community to alter, or to abolish such government.

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce the community under absolute despotism, it is community’s right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security. Even if it means seeking a separate safe harbor.

Sorry but I don’t think this is the correct way.
If you really want to find inspiration on how to regulate an organization (governing body, control body …) it would be neglected to take a “Certificate of Incorporation” or LLC.
If you want to be inspired by US models.
I graduated in law but not in the US. I can’t help you that much.
Anyway here, in the DAO “code is the law”.
See how another DAO is handled.

https://docs.synthetix.io/governance/

1 Like

which one exactly is not the correct way? conferring legitimacy to an entity through vote?
who says which way is the way? who are those that vote? where and how? after what process?
these questions need to be answered within any kind of bylaws or constitutional documents that holders agree on

if they dont agree in full, they can make amendments
but eventually and sooner rather than later they need to hol up and confer legitimacy to some shared ideals - if they don’t, actors will continue profiting and will attempt to give themselves more airdrops before thinking of ideals, agenda, or who or what they are working for

I fully agree on this

As an anarchist-BB (Before Bukele), I’m a bit repelled by the usage of the term “state”. Sushi is a DAO and that’s how we should call it. I’d suggest the following:

Preamble
“Sushi is a state. Sushi is a mission. Sushi is an ethos. Sushi is a soul. Sushi is of the people, for the people. Make it so in structure and thought.” - Rainbowpuffpuff

Article I "Proclamation"
Sushi is a Decentralized Autonomous Organization (DAO). All authority within the DAO is derived from the community, whose will shall be established through elections and other votes, and executed through specific legislative, executive and judicial bodies. The legislature shall be bound by the constitutional order, the executive and the judiciary by law and justice.

All Sushi shall have the right to resist any person or entity seeking to abolish this constitutional order if no other remedy is available. ← What you’re describing here is essentially a fork, so this should go into Article XVI.