Inspired by the efforts of Sushi Samurai v1, v1 authors, and volunteers who do great work helping Sushi succeed.
Samurai are the community engagement team for Sushi and serve to build trust between users, community members, and Sushi DAO + products.
The primary goal of this proposal is to reinstate the Samurai role which was terminated via the passing of the SMSP-0 Frog Nation proposal. The supplementary goal is to revamp the role of the Samurai to meet the needs of the community after a successful first iteration of the Samurai. Our proposal is based on feedback & learnings from the initial proposal passed on Aug 17, 2021.
This proposal will reinstate the Samurai role and formally define the responsibilities of Sushi’s community engagement team. The Samurai nominated are @pegbit , @maka , @rsk, @Trudahamzik and @Zapacheenie
Going forward, the Samurai will focus on:
1. Customer support: Supporting Sushi users across the entire product suite with 24/7/365 1:1 customer support & scalable product guides & knowledgebase.
2. Community champions: Bring transparency to the inner workings of sushi with Sushi wide reporting & the establishment of an always accessible, always updated data room for key Sushi information.
3. Community engagement: Building tools focused on brand awareness that is not explicitly covered by Marketing, BD, & Brand teams.
The annual cost for the entire Samurai team will be $480,000 plus an annual 20,000 $SUSHI in multisig. This represents less than .04% of Sushi’s market capitalization to ensure Sushi has a dedicated 24/7/365 community engagement team.
Reinstate the support function for Sushiswap & all Sushi products via reinstating the “Sushi Samurai”. And extend grants and financial support going forward. Additionally, iterate to redefine the role to meet community needs & build on learnings from the first iteration of Samurai.
Samurai now focus on three key jobs:
- Samurai Support: Supporting Sushi users across all Sushi products, features, and offerings. As well as the moderation of Discord, Twitter, and Reddit. This includes the creation of scalable content & guidance to serve as a knowledge base. Solving individual users’ problems via 1:1 conversations, livechat, chatbots, and bug ticketing and ancillary initiatives where necessary such as providing assistance with Miso vetting & due diligence.
- Samurai Community Champion: Serve as community champions to provide timely & transparent reporting to the community. Maintaining the active data room for what information the community decides it wants to know and have access to in real-time. The nature of what is incorporated within the data room can evolve based on the feedback of what the community decides to track. Ex. Maintaining updated org chart and contributor list, salary & spend documentation, sourced product roadmaps and roadmap status. Maintain business metric templates from cash flow to user metrics in an always updated and always accessible format.
- Samurai Community Engagement: Build tools focused on brand awareness that are not explicitly covered by Marketing, BD, Brand teams. Through the lens of Community Engagement. This allows the Samurai to build trust & awareness for Sushi in the gap that exists between teams. This job is intentionally broad so that the Samurai can quickly meet the needs of the community and ensure best in DeFi engagement. Prior initiatives that were successful include Sushi filters, anti-spam/scam campaigns, and Sushi times.
Create a performance accountability system for the Samurai that includes published metrics regarding the work the Samurai do. Ex. number of support requests handled, user sentiment & satisfaction, bug tickets created and assigned to Engineering, and the Samurai roadmap. This will also be published in the newly data room Samurai will maintain on behalf of Sushi.
Sushi successfully created a support function known as the Samurai in June 2021. The original proposal here: Sushi’s All-In-One Customer Support and Engagement
Samurai were an initiative in which sushi product users were able to count on real time 24/7 support while using and interacting with the Sushi product suite. After the SMSP-0 Frog Nation proposal, the Samurai role was effectively terminated with grants not being renewed. This has left support work being provided in a purely voluntary capacity. It should be noted that a number of ex-Samurai continue to provide support to users as unpaid contributors.
This proposal serves to reinstate and redesign the role of the Sushi Samurai to meet the needs of Sushi, users, and the community.
This proposal will revamp the role to solve pressing needs voiced by the community. Samurai will now focus on 3 key undertakings along which the Samurai roadmap will follow.
Samurai Support: Supporting Sushi users across all Sushi products, features, and offerings. As well as the moderation of Discord, Twitter, and Reddit. This includes the creation of scalable content & guidance to serve as a knowledge base. Solving individual users’ problems via 1:1 conversations, livechat, chatbots, and bug ticketing and ancillary initiatives where necessary such as providing assistance with Miso vetting & due diligence.
Samurai Community Champion: Serve as community champions to provide timely & transparent reporting to the community. Maintaining the active data room for what information the community decides it wants to know and have access to in real time. The nature of what is incorporated within the data room can evolve based on feedback of what the community decides to track. Ex. Maintaining updated org chart and contributor list, salary & spend documentation, sourced product roadmaps and roadmap status. Maintain business metric templates from cash flow to user metrics in an always updated and always accessible format.
Samurai Community Engagement: Build tools focused on brand awareness that are not explicitly covered by Marketing, BD, or Brand teams. Through the lens of Community Engagement. This allows the Samurai to build trust & awareness for Sushi in the gap that exists between teams. This job is intentionally broad so that the Samurai can quickly meet the needs of the community and ensure best in class DeFi engagement. Prior initiatives that were successful include Sushi filters, anti-spam/scam campaigns, and Sushi times.
With the reinstatement of the “Samurai” Sushi’s official community engagement team. Sushi will become a trailblazer in DeFi community engagement & support. This is absolutely pivotal to the success of Sushi given that it is one of the few projects that continues to be community-owned, operated, and governed without having taken a dime in VC funding.
Currently, Sushi is without a financially supported community engagement or support team. As a result, Sushi is relying entirely on volunteers at this time to provide support. After the Frog Nation debacle, it is imperative that Sushi get back to operating in a user-centric manner. Samurai being reinstated and revamped to meet the needs of the community is key to ensuring the road ahead is a community first, user satisfaction first, and alignment to create the most user-friendly experience in DeFi.
- Samurai Support: Create Self-Serve Content and Articles for Sushi and its Partner Ecosystem
Create updated visual content in the form of screenshots and video walkthroughs on all possible categories of Sushi products. Segregate them based on three levels: Beginners, Intermediate, and Pro. Allow users the option to choose custom content according to their preference. By providing appropriate articles/videos, we can prevent confusion for the user, and ensure they find what is relevant to them. Financially, this enables Sushi to operate a cost effective support motion at scale that’s not reliant entirely on 1:1 support interactions.
For now, most of the users rely on Documentation made on Gitbooks or outdated Youtube videos and online articles. Samurai will focus on creating a much more stimulating article knowledge base that goes in depth with every topic using visual components like illustration and video-walkthroughs to make it more engaging and digestible. The current documentation is also designed strongly towards someone ranging in an intermediate-pro level grid. Samurai fill that void between what you get with technical doc writing & the practical needs of the community.
- Samurai Support: Implement Bot and Live Chat
Implement a self-service chatbot to compile the ever-growing list of frequently asked questions a Sushi user might have. The goal here is to pre-empt a normal user’s need of wanting to go to a live chat, to ask questions. If the question asked matches any of the preexisting feed, it will offer the user the right solutions or lead them towards specific articles. If the user prefers to speak to someone, they have the option to be connected to a live Sushi Samurai who will provide real-time solutions instantly. If the Samurai is unable to provide a solution, they can open a ticket assigning it to the relevant developer. This offloads a lot of work for developers by streamlining their workload for support.
One major advantage we foresee is how this mitigates Discord scammers, who pose as help agents to scam people. Core members can track avg. chat time, chat’s closed etc, and all other stats using the Chat dashboard. The bot can be improved by creating workflows and necessary branching over time.
- Samurai Support: Implement a Seamless Ticketing Experience
When things get overwhelming, users have the ability to create tickets. Samurai serve as the de facto post launch QA filter for the most pressing bugs. Samurai are often on the receiving end of bugs being encountered by users in real time. Owning this user reported bug & issue flow Acts as a bridge between the Customer, Samurai, and Developers. User centric features can be layered on top of this core workflow. Where users have the option to be notified via email or chatbot directly when they log back on the page regarding their ongoing issues.
- Samurai Community Champion: Create analytics and community reports.
Samurai will maintain transparency on the quantity and quality of work done via the Samurai, the team plans to create an interactive analytics dashboard feed with data from the support platform e.g total tickets closed, pending tickets, questions answered by the chatbot etc. Along with an ongoing commitment to the publishing of the Samurai roadmap & progress/status.
The Samurai will take on the role of community reporting to encompass SushiDAO wide info deemed relevant by the community. The Samurai will create a data room of constantly updated templates for the data deemed important and wanted by the community. The community can decide what types of information it would like included in the data room. Ex. Admin spend, Org Charts & Staff list, Product roadmap & roadmap statuses, User & Growth metrics. The key is that the Samurai will ensure full DAO reporting across all teams is encompassed while creating minimal busy work for the other teams within sushi.
- Samurai Community Engagement: Create fun & engaging tools & events centered around brand awareness.
Samurai will fill the role of community engagement for Sushi. Additionally, this allows Samurai broad flexibility to solve problems and provide community related services that may sit in gray areas between other teams. For example, Samurai created Sushi filters which was an engaging campaign initiative independent of any Brand or Marketing teams. As companies create teams to operate within silos, there’s naturally a void that exists in which it is not clear which team should specifically be responsible for certain initiatives. Samurai have proven an ability to serve as community engagement leads and operate in gray areas that are not explicitly defined or acted on by Marketing. Previous successful initiatives have included creation of the weekly newsletter “Sushi Times” & sushi filters. This positions the Samurai to serve as an end to end team building a fun and effective relationship with the Sushi user base & community everywhere the Sushi user base is found.
- Samurai Community Engagement: Assist in managing elevant social media channels on behalf of Sushi
Samurai will manage and have access to all relevant social media channels in collaboration with the other teams and stakeholders within Sushi. Social channels have been proven to be a support touchpoint for the broader community. As such, Samurai will monitor all relevant social channels to ensure support & community engagement inquiries are responded to in a timely manner. Samurai will also assist in the reporting, blacklisting, and promoting awareness of scam & imposter accounts to protect the community across all social platforms. Samurai will provide stats & metrics associated with their contribution to managing Sushi social media channels.
Proposed compensation will follow clearly defined tiers outlined here. Samurai can choose between two compensation packages
a) 80% USDC - 20% $SUSHI
b) 100% USDC:
- Full-time entry level Samurai - $66,000 annual.
- Paid as $4,400 USDC + $1,100 $SUSHI per month.
- Paid as $5,500 USDC
- Full-time Samurai with prior support/community engagement experience - $80,000 annual.
- Paid as $5,333 USDC + $1,333 $SUSHI per month.
- Paid as $6,666 USDC
- Full-time Managing Samurai with prior support/community engagement experience - $100,000 annual.
- Paid as $6,666 USDC + $1,666 $SUSHI per month.
- Paid as $8,332 USDC
- Full-time Samurai Dev with prior support/community engagement experience + full stack engineering skills - $120,000 annual.
- Paid as $8,000 USDC + $2,000 $SUSHI per month.
- Paid as $10,000 USDC
- Entry level part time Samurai - $30 per hour.
- Paid as $24 USDC + $6 $SUSHI per hour.
- Paid as $30 USDC per hour.
- Part-time Samurai with prior support/community engagement experience - $40 per hour.
- Paid as $32 USDC + $8 $SUSHI per hour.
- Paid as $40 USDC
Full-time role definitions:
- Full-time entry level Samurai - this is a contributor with a thorough level of crypto & DeFi understanding plus understanding of the role of Sushi, DEX’s, and financial services concepts and applications. However, has not had relevant prior experience with support or community engagement work.
- Full-time Samurai with prior support/community engagement experience - This is an individual contributor with a thorough understanding of crypto & DeFi, understanding of the role of Sushi, DEX’s, and financial services concepts and applications. This contributor additionally has relevant prior experience with support or community engagement work. This tier can be reached via promotion from entry-level Samurai.
- Full-time Managing Samurai with prior support/community engagement experience- This role requires a deep level of understanding of the crypto, DeFi, Web3 landscape. Plus in depth understanding of Sushi’s product suite & competitive positioning. Managing Samurai will manage at least 1 Full-time subordinate & requires prior work experience in Customer Engagement/Support. This tier can be reached via promotion.
- Full-time Samurai Dev with prior support/community engagement experience + full stack engineering skills - This role requires full stack programming experience to create functional products to be used internally and externally by the Samurai & community. This role also requires prior community engagement/support experience along with an in depth understanding of crypto, DeFi, Web3, and the Sushi product suite.
Part-time role definitions:
- Entry level part time Samurai - An entry level position at approximately 16-24 hours of work per week to assist the broader full-time collective in support & community engagement tasks. Part time Samurai maintain the same competence requirements as full-time counterparts.
- Part-time Samurai with prior support/community engagement experience - A part-time position at approximately 16-24 hours of work per week to assist the broader full-time collective in support & community engagement tasks. Part time Samurai require the same competence requirements as full-time counterparts.
Compensation has been competitively sourced based on similar roles across crypto, tech, and required competence. It is imperative to ensure Samurai are well compensated, provide upward mobility, and discourage any rogue behavior due to the loss of meaningful income and career trajectory.
It is important to note Samurai do not receive health, wellness, retirement, benefits etc. when considering total compensation figures. Significant individual costs are incurred when not being provided typically standard employment benefits.
Fund requirements & proposed allocation:
Based on prior experience running the Samurai organization the Samurai immediately propose 5 full-time Samurai along with a budget for 3 part time Samurai.
The proposed candidates to fill these roles are:
- Pegbit - Full-time Samurai Dev with prior support/community engagement experience + full stack engineering skills
- RSK - Full-time Managing Samurai with prior support/community engagement experience
- Maka - Full-time Managing Samurai with prior support/community engagement experience
- Zapacheenie - Full-time Samurai with prior support/community engagement experience
- Trudahamzik - Full-time Samurai with prior support/community engagement experience
At this time no part-time Samurai will be hired. However, Samurai wish to have the pre-allocated budget to ensure the ability to scale when necessary.
Total compensation for the full-time Samurai contributors will be $480,000. Currently representing approx. .04% of Sushi’s fully diluted market cap.
Additionally, the Samurai propose a budget of 20,000 $SUSHI per year that will be held in a Multisig controlled by the Samurai’s. These funds will be used to reward content creators, active community members, and serve as a source of funds for community engagement campaigns and discretionary support operations. There will be total transparency on how this is operated. $SUSHI will not be paid to existing Samurai in the form of compensation. It will be entirely used as a source of investment to carry out projects and initiatives, &/or scale Samurai operations.
Pegbit: I’d call myself as someone with a strong vertical between being a technology guy and a business guy (especially growth hacking) with a keen eye for details. Lead the dev part for Samurai project from advent working in parallel with marketing and other teams. Ex- FAANG engineer, ex-cofounder for a BI based startup (pivoted), and the primary author of OG Samurai proposal.
RSK: Business IT graduate involved in Crypto space since 2017 and Sushi from November 2020. Lead the team formation of the OG samurai team and have been contributing on customer support, community works and promoting Sushi products through twitter.
Maka: Was a performer for many years, a cg artist for a few.
Had a passive background in embedded systems, building robots as a hobby, and a history of contributing to open source projects as a lifelong linux user.
The marriage of those interests led me to crypto in 2020, where I have been an active member of the Sushi community since early ‘’21.
As a contributor has been relentless in meeting the communities needs and aiding the core whenever requested.
Zapacheenie: Jack of many crafts and trades. Audiophile and connoisseur of fine brews. Also likes shiny digital tokens.
Trudahamzik: Ex competitive gamer who fell into the crypto rabbit hole. Also an avid writer of all things Sushi.
Support Engine: Run a completely spun-off support system on Zendesk and Intercom with ticketing and live chat. Discord support will still be managed although the ticketing and live chat portal will be encouraged further. (High Priority)
Testing sessions: Organize periodic testing sessions between dev team, samurais and active users from the community when new features are rolled out to take early criticism and feedback from frequent users. (Medium Priority)
Self Service Knowledge Base: Build out a well refined, centralized and organized collection of information about everything around the Sushi ecosystem. : (High Priority)
Launch Samurai Platform: Launch a fully mature version platform that acts as the primary place for Sushi essentials. Right from knowledge-base to community engagement tools, everything under one platform. We also plan to ship out a simpler alpha version prior to main release. (High Priority)
Samurai Onboarding Platform: Build a proactive tool that can onboard new Samurais and get them equipped with everything to be an outstanding Samurai. (Low Priority)
Open Contributor Engine: Advancing Sushi’s commitments to transparency and accountability to build a culture of open reporting around contributors working with Sushi, at any point of time. Want to know what your favorite developer is working on currently? You can find it here! (unless it’s a secret project!) (High Priority)
Sushi Data Room: A virtual data room that contains all the documentation that showcases each of Sushi product’s strengths and performance updated each quarter. Find all kinds of templates here. This will also serve as a hub for every other open report. (High Priority)
Product Metric Templates: Custom reports with capabilities to analyze how users engage with different several Sushi products through research studies, case studies etc (High Priority)
Sourcing Team Product Maps: Curating product maps for different Sushi products from respective teams in one place. (Medium Priority)
Revamp Sushi Times: Revamp Sushi Times to a fully open community contributed newspaper. The goal is to project Sushi Times as the frontier of information for Sushi ecosystem. (High Priority)
Sushi Academy: Creating a fully fledged academy that engages and empowers crypto amateurs and veterans to comprehend and thrive around the Sushi suite of products.(High Priority)
Sushi Webinars: Weekly webinars hosted by Samurais, to acquaint the crypto entrants to the Home of DeFi. The idea is to design a program to assist retail to get started in DeFi alongside introduction to various Sushi products and how they overall fit together on a day to day picture for these users. It will be mainly through walkthroughs and intuitive lessons. The intended goals are to build loyalty and retention and be the stepping stone of their crypto journey. (High Priority)
Samurai Platform Integration: Integrate all these tools to the main platform so that it can all work concurrently with other branches of Samurai. (High Priority)
Samurai NFTs: Launch Samurai NFTs that creates great utilities revolving around community members and can also live up to the purpose of incentivizing them eg. for testing sessions, completing sushi academy, anti-censorship badges etc (Medium Priority)
Samurai-Sushi merchandise store: Build a chic merchandise store with active and limited edition drops that serve as incentives to active community members along various projects of Samurais. Exploring various ways to create a unique fit between Samurai NFTs and merchandise store. eg. burn X NFT to redeem a hat (consideration stage) (Low Priority)
Apart from these items, we will focus on building Samurai’s own marketing tools and also build new things as we see fit.
For a longshot, laying eyes on weighted POAP scoring mechanism to identify loyal community members
For those that are not aware of the impact Samurai v1 had on the Sushi ecosystem we’d like to highlight work done and deliverables.
- 24/7 support and assistance on Discord since June. Most queries get picked up in less than 5-10 minutes. Various users have also come from unrelated protocols to seek help as they loved the response time and knew we would attempt to help them regardless of the situation.
- 46k+ messages on #support (excluding dms & dedicated product channels, would be 200k+):
- HHK_eth: 9k
- KartelCrypto (RSK): 9k
- 0xMaka: 17k
- Porlixcrypto: 6k
- Trudahamzik: 3k
- Zapacheenie: 2k
- Stopping scam auctions from listing on MISO and rescuing 150k+ worth of users’ funds (e.g Tokens sent to contract addresses, using flashbots to save compromised wallets). Examples:
- Arbitrum Transaction Hash (Txhash) Details | Arbiscan
- MOVR Transaction Hash (Txhash) Details | Moonriver
- HOW I GOT HACKED through sushiswap discord and LOST MY CRYPTO. My journey, what NOT TO DO. Scammer - YouTube
- 0xPegbit released:
- Features.samurais.io (Sushi feature requests/feedback)
- Pfp.samurais.io (Sushi Filters)
- News.samurais.io (Sushi Newspaper)
- Temperature check UI for Phantom Troupe proposals
- Samurai Discord bot
- POAP Discord bot
- 0xPegbit contributed to:
- MISO v2 Chef’s Edition
- Sushi Gigs Platform
- Sushi Academy
- Sushi Birthday NFT Contest (Submission portal & Discord Voting)
- HHK_eth built:
- www.sushibackup.com (A public site that included BentoBox, Masterchef & MISO retrieval tools)
- Discord Gas bot
- Cross Chain Sushi Maker analytics
- Smart contracts for 0x_intern to help airdrop Sushi-chan & Sushi-hime NFT collections
- Trudahamzik created:
- wasabinews.notion.site/Wasabi-News-5d63320777c04b51bd71928b318c3247 (Directory for all Sushi related news, updates & guides)
- www.getrevue.co/profile/Mortys (Collaboration with kirbee_21 to release weekly Sushi newsletters from September to December)
- The team also collectively put together:
- wasabinews.notion.site/Sushi-FAQ-5451f45df64f489b810d9c21b1f95b46 (A detailed Sushi FAQ)
Sushi has experienced a rollercoaster for the last several months. Reinstating the Samurai ensures that Sushi is still the most user-friendly project in DeFi made by and for the community. It is imperative that we continue to ensure a positive experience for everyone who is using and learning about Sushi and partner ecosystems.We now take this opportunity to solve some of the recent issues that have plagued Sushi.
This proposal is designed to gain both interest and input from the Community, Devs, and Core.
Key points for discussion:
- Possible ways to prevent future scammers.
- Workflow for sourcing data & reporting to the community
- Future considerations and long-term planning of the Samurai role as Sushi scales.
Major recognition goes to all those in the Discord channels volunteering their time to solve the community’s issues.
- Reinstate the Samurai so the world knows Sushi is here to stay & the road ahead is sunny
- No, it is not a good idea for Sushi to have a dedicated community engagement & support team.