Sushi Head Chef - Team & Community Questions for Andy Forman

Sushi Head Chef - Andy Forman

Community Questions & Response

1. Longevity and operations at Sushi

How can the protocol operate efficiently?

We should create a structure in which autonomous teams are set-up to succeed. I will help define a product strategy, go-to-market plan, and input/output metrics for each of our products. This will reduce the complexity for anyone (core team or external) that wants to come work on Sushi products. I will continually be updating the strategy documents and meeting with contributors to provide feedback.

I expect Sushi to remain a small team for the next 3-4 months, so we need to plan our structure for the current contributors to succeed but keep a vision for the future in which dozens of teams are working on Sushi products concurrently.

Fee/rake alignment to ensure Sushi can last and fund future development

In August the Kanpai rake was less than $100k and our expenses were $300-350k. That is not sustainable. We have a short runway during which we need to develop a financial plan that gets us to profitability and long-term sustainability. I’ve committed to delivering a full financial report to the community that includes detailed treasury analysis, operating budget, and financial plan/forecast. I believe we can develop a financial model that sets Sushi up for the long term but I want to spend 2 months to properly analyze the details and review with financial professionals. Guessing at a financial model would be a disservice to the community.

Legal

I speak regularly with other defi protocol leaders, crypto lawyers, and financial services businesses about legal and regulatory concerns. The industry is aligning around a couple legal entity frameworks that comply with current regulation and protects individuals from legal action. The top priority should be to protect people who are acting in the best interest of the protocol and token holders.

I also believe in a high level of ethical integrity and I expect that everyone on the Sushi core team also commits to high ethical standards when dealing with the DAO and with each other.

Management

As head chef my job is to create the environment in which contributors and investors can succeed. This is based on the core philosophy of crypto My job as head chef is to create the environment in which contributors and investors can succeed. I manage by principle, not procedure. I have been a developer of people during my entire career and have trained many people into leadership roles…

2. Governance improvement & party alignment

I expect the head chef and the core team to be active in the community of Sushi stakeholders. I will be active in speaking with various stakeholders and will commit my time to improving the discourse. That said, I love the energy and enthusiasm of the community and love that people speak their minds about Sushi - I hope that doesn’t change.

I would like to make governance accessible by making information easy to absorb and voting easy to perform. We can make our content rich and enjoyable. And we can experiment with making voting more open. I would like to see us try to do temp checks in a way that is easy to do from a mobile device.

3. External developer participation

My goal is for hundreds of people to be able to work on Sushi over the next decade. We will need to develop the technical, financial, and social infrastructure to make that happen.

The first major change for Sushi should be the launch of Trident and a revamped Bento. The planned architecture opens up the design space for other developers to build smart contract applications, as well as data analytics, and front-end features in the Sushi ecosystem.

Right now our treasury does not support grants or other external compensation. I will build on a new financial model and budget plan that incorporates external contributions. There are other interesting ways to implement a community funded projects pool that allow Sushi token holders to vote on the distribution and/or matching of funds.

Our forum is not organized and we don’t have an established process contributors to present proposals to the community. I will work with DAO participants to set a process up. I have built applications for other firms and been rewarded for doing so. There are project principles that can be applied for Sushi contributors.

Community selected questions

3. What are your first priorities when you take the position? What are the expected timelines you would envision for your next steps?

I described some of my activities and objectives for the first 100 days in my previous post (Sushi Forum). One of my priorities is helping our product teams get momentum and start shipping. We’re close to launching Trident and Shoyu, and I will be ready to jump into all aspects of the product (design, development, testing, marketing, etc) to help get them out the door and in the hands of users.

4. Are there any changes to Sushi tokenomics that you would like to see? What could that look like?

Yes, we should redesign our tokenomics so that it incorporates our product strategy, governance evolution, and financial model. The goal of our token should be better alignment with the fundamental value of the Sushi ecosystem. For example, Sushi fundamentals should reflect the success of multi-chain development. Our ecosystem value should reflect the fact that over the long term Sushi and other defi applications will commoditize the blockchain layer and deliver increasing value to users.

5. What strategies would you employ for a sustainable growth and revenue model?

I have a market-based plan that targets several different user/customer segments. I have interviewed defi whales, LPs, consumer traders, and NFT flippers to understand their needs. I have used those insights to help the core team and develop a go-to-market strategy for our products. I will help Sushi get the traction it needs to climb the ranks of defi and NFTs. As Sushi expands to users outside of the current crypto user base, I will use my product growth experience to help our ecosystem grow to millions of users.

2 Likes