SushiSwap Hiring Guidelines V4

Hiring Process

Conventional businesses usually have ironed-out hiring processes, but SushiSwap is looking to build a Core Team of self-starters , proactive talents that do rather than just flash their credentials. That's why we tend to favor the recruitment of those who have shown consistent, relevant, and continued commitment to the project, regardless of how experienced they are, or their resume.

Any volunteer willing to commit to the project full-time and long-term is welcome to submit a proposal on forum.sushiswapclassic.org, detailing their skills and desired scope of action.

:white_check_mark: The process detailed below assumes that proposals are non-contentious and all voting and conversation is done in good faith. Any attempt to tamper with the voting results will be sanctioned by the dismissal of the proposal.

If a proposal is welcomed positively after at least four days of feedback and fits SushiSwap's current needs, a vote is pushed to Snapshot.

:white_check_mark: If multiple people apply at the same time, a snapshot will be posted per applicant.

If quorum (5M votes) is reached on a hiring proposal, the new hire officially joins the Core Team.

:white_check_mark: In the event that a malicious actor tries to push a hiring proposal on Snapshot, the Core Team reserves the right to veto the community vote.

Onboarding and Trial Period

As stated before, consistency and continued commitment are instrumental to the project's success. That's why a trial period for every full-time Core Team member will be implemented.

The trial period duration is set to two months.

During the trial period, every new hire will receive 100% of their due salary , in the form of a monthly grant (i.e. not through Sablier).

:white_check_mark: During the two-month trial period, the collaboration can be ended unilaterally. In case of early interruption, a grant corresponding to the pro-rata based on time worked will be issued.

If the trial period is successful, the new hire is made official. They are added to Sablier, their signing bonus (see Perks section below) is unlocked, and they are now protected by a severance package (in the case of a standard firing procedure).

If the hire isn't confirmed at the end of the two-month period, the signing bonus and severance package are null.

Part-Time Hires

SushiSwap thrives thanks to its volunteers. Unfortunately, some of them are in a place that doesn't allow them to commit full-time to the project.

They are more than welcome to contribute but they would be compensated with a monthly grant, based on their involvement in and time commitment to the project. The amount of the grant will be set up on a month-to-month basis, and will be adjusted to the part-time contributor's degree of involvement.

:white_check_mark:_ For operational efficiency and comfort for contributors, grants will be issued at a fixed date every month. _

Compensation Policy

SushiSwap is a prominent actor with exciting prospects in a highly innovative space. We intend on providing our talent with attractive compensation packages. But we also have to do so in a strategic way if we want to thrive in the long term.

:white_check_mark: Three compensation mechanisms have been discussed and we'd like your opinion on them. For options 1 and 2, every new hire can choose the portion of the salary they want to be paid in USDC vs SUSHI, depending on their desired exposure to risk.

1- Package pegged to SUSHI price on the date the snapshot is posted

With that option, every contributor package (compensation+hiring bonus) is pre-set on the basis of SUSHI price of the day their hiring proposal is submitted to Snapshot (daily low on Coingecko).

Two examples:

• Dev: 300K USD package // SUSHI daily low price at snapshot time= 4$:

• Hiring bonus=0,15%*300K USD/4=11250 SUSHI
    • Package: Max 75K SUSHI (if 100% SUSHI compensation)
  • Dev: 300K USD package // SUSHI daily low price at snapshot time= 8$:

• Hiring bonus=0,15%*300K USD/7=5625 SUSHI
    • Package: Max 37,5K SUSHI (if 100% SUSHI compensation)

:white_check_mark: Pros:

• SUSHI vesting available
  • Strong exposure to SUSHI price

:no_entry: Cons:

• Creates a huge disparity between team members, on the sole base of the date the snapshot is submitted. Could be problematic if the team grows significantly.
  • Prospective hires have no say on the date the snapshot is posted and it could turn out to be disadvantageous. We could also have people purposely delaying or rushing the hiring process just to "catch" an advantageous price point.
  • If SUSHI price swings dramatically, some packages could be worth less than the standard amount (for instance someone gets hired when sushi is at 8 but the token durably stays under that price level for the whole year).
  • Could end up being bad press because of salary differences.

2- Evolutive compensation

With that option, each team member gets paid the equivalent of their monthly salary (the frequency could be adjustable) on a set date (1st of the month, so same SUSHI price point), and there is no pre-determination of the SUSHI amount of their package. The hiring bonus would amount to 15% of the total compensation package, payable in USDC.

Two examples:

• Dev: 300K USD package
    • Hiring bonus: 0,15x300K= 45K USDC
    • Month 1: 300K USD/12=25K USD (payable in SUSHI). If SUSHI is 2$ = 12,5K SUSHI
    • Month 2: 25K USD (payable in SUSHI). If SUSHI is 4$= 6250 SUSHI
    • Month 3: 25K USD (payable in SUSHI). If SUSHI is 8$= 3125 SUSHI
    • Etc…
  • Community Manager: 80-120K USD package
    • Hiring bonus: 0,15x120K= 18K USDC
    • Month 1: 100K USD/12=10K USD (payable in SUSHI). If SUSHI is 2$ = 5K SUSHI
    • Month 2: 25K USD (payable in SUSHI). If SUSHI is 4$= 2500 SUSHI
    • Month 3: 25K USD (payable in SUSHI). If SUSHI is 8$= 1250 SUSHI
    • Etc…

• The fairest option as the value of the monthly compensation (could be adapted to frequency) is always equal to 1/12 of the base salary at the time of payment
  • Every team member gets their salary at the same price point
  • The total package can't be worth less than the initial package agreed on
  • We don't have to worry about price fluctuation when paying
  • SUSHI price is out of the equation when hiring
  • SUSHI vesting available

• Requires calculating compensation on a monthly basis (if payable in SUSHI)
  • Don't know how it would work with Sablier if we pay in SUSHI

3- Full USDC package

With that option, each team member gets fully paid in USDC (both salary and hiring bonus).

Two examples:

• Dev: 300K USD package

• Hiring bonus: 0,15x300K= 45K USDC
    • Month 1-12: 300K USD/12= 25K USDC
  • Community Manager: 80-120K USD package

• Hiring bonus: 0,15x120K= 18K USDC
    • Month 1-12: 100K USD/12= 10K USDC

• The easiest option.
  • Salary is fixed
  • The total package can't be worth less than the initial package agreed on
  • We don't have to worry about price fluctuation when paying
  • SUSHI price is out of the equation when hiring
  • Can easily be streamed through sablier

• No exposure to SUSHI
  • No SUSHI vesting
  • The dev treasury must have enough USDC to cover wages, or swap SUSHI for USDC regularly

:white_check_mark: The chosen compensation structure will be retroactively applied to SushiSwap's initial Core Team members (0xMaki, JiroOno, OmakaseBar, Levx, Joseph Delong, Keno, I'm Software) on the anniversary of their recruitment.

Section 2: Perks

Signing bonus:

Each new hire (part- and full-time) is entitled to a signing bonus equivalent to 15% of their total compensation, payable in USDC (e.g.: 45K USDC for a 300K USD package).

:white_check_mark: The signing bonus will be unlocked at the end of the two-month trial period.

SushiSwap assistance:

Working for the project and the subsequent increase in revenue could mean new hires need assistance with their personal finances and legal fees in case of litigation.

Therefore, SushiSwap pledges to:

• Cover up to $5K USD for taxes/accounting-related expenses.

:white_check_mark: These costs will be covered under the condition that they are directly and solely tied to SushiSwap activity and are deemed reasonable upon evaluation of the official +billing by 0xMaki, ops or any member of the core team. Due diligence will be conducted if there is doubt. Any wrongful claim will be sanctioned by immediate termination without severance. _

• Cover legal assistance fees in case one of the Core Team members faces litigation with regard to their role in SushiSwap that is not a result of gross malfeasance

:white_check_mark: These costs will be covered under the condition that they are directly and solely tied to SushiSwap activity and are deemed reasonable upon evaluation of the official billing by 0xMaki, ops or any member of the core team. Due diligence will be conducted if there is doubt. Any wrongful claim will be sanctioned by immediate termination without severance. _

Section 3: Indicative Salary Grid

This section includes different sample salaries SushiSwap could offer. Each compensation package will be objectively based on skills, experience, and expertise. For this grid, our frame of reference was the higher bracket of high profile salaries, plus a premium to reflect the risk/volatility associated with decentralized crypto projects.

Senior Dev : 180K - 250K USD (excluding signing bonus).

Junior Dev : 80K - 150K USD (excluding signing bonus).

Senior Ops/Business Dev : 120K - 150K USD (excluding signing bonus).

Junior Ops/Business Dev: 85K USD (excluding signing bonus).

Senior Designer/Comms : 120K USD (excluding signing bonus).

Junior Designer/Comms : 80K USD (excluding signing bonus).

Community Manager: 80K USD (excluding signing bonus).

Pay ranges are a guideline and outstanding candidates can request an increased salary pending approval of the core team

:white_check_mark: This salary structure could be subject to change as the project grows. The community would, of course, be notified if/when this is the case.

Termination Policy

Letting someone go is a painful, stressful experience that can put a strain on a project's morale.

That's why we'd like to introduce transparent termination procedures so there are no surprises in the event of poor or malicious performance.

• Any termination decision will be discussed and voted on by the Core Team.
  • Gross misconduct and dishonest behavior will result in immediate termination without any form of severance.
  • Standard terminations will be subject to a severance package based on the individual's fixed salary. The standard severance package is one month's salary.
  • Severance packages will be approved by Core Team and Multisig before being sent.
  • In the event of a high-profile termination, a post-mortem could be shared with the community, shedding light on the context and justification for the decision.
4 Likes

I believe SUSHI exposure should be a must for every employee so there is skin in the game. Not sure about the percentage, but I believe full USD could bring misalignment. I believe tho, that the second option is the one that makes more sense. The time decision it’s tough, but I believe should be a fixed date for the whole team, so there are no good or bad days.
I’m curious how other projects have been handling this. This is the most open proposal and discussion I’ve seen. Kudos.
Did you get inspired by any project?

3 Likes

Is this topic a joke ?
@dangerousfood is Joseph Delong.

Where is your proposal? Can you tell us how did you become the CTO?

Obviously, sushiswap made an exception for you right ? No proposal and nobody knows you :wink:

You have 300K USD , and now the maximum is 250K.
Your signing bonus was 20K sushi , and now the maximum is 45K USD, so 4500 sushi.

Haha I appreciate the joke, thank you

1 Like

Hey, so, I’ve got a couple thoughts.

First off, even though it doesn’t affect me all that much - salaries are for full-timers. We are a rapidly growing and developing project in the “uncertain” crypto space. That means that the risks associated with working for such a project (SushiSwap isn’t a formal corporation yet)are much higher compared to working at a regular company (example: possible litigation as put forward by Keno, I’m sure that no one wants to deal with that, and they would be much less likely to in a “regular” company).

There is also the point of taxes. Some countries are very light on taxes, only taking a couple %, some regulate and tax at much higher rates (taking as much as over a half of a salary away!). Of course people could move to a more favorable country, but some may have a house, family or other roots, which kind of erases the benefits. While I didn’t like the inclusion of tax-related benefits in the HG, I do now and support it’s extension due to the massive decrease in non-dev positions.

We also want (and need!) the top talents available, in order to establish Sushi as THE go-to DAPP. And because these talents often know their worth, they don’t come cheap.

I’ve heard Maki’s passion point, and while I do agree that we want to have passionate people around, it unfortunately doesn’t pay taxes, bills and mortgages, which means that even if people want to work on Sushi because they find the project interesting and fun, their personal finances won’t allow them to, and they’ll just go elsewhere.

The salaries should reflect that.

Then the part that affects me, personally- the decision to pay part-timers with grants.

As less formal team members, we have smaller responsibilities and take smaller risks. That’s why I don’t mind the idea of being compensated with grants. These grants, however, should, in my opinion, be aligned with full-timers’ salaries pro-rata.

I personally really enjoy working on this project, I easily contribute 30 hours a week lately, and I think that my work is quite valuable, be it the Discord management or dev work. However, the fact that I’m supposed to be getting paid 1/10-1/5 of what Keno, Joe, or I’m Software are getting paid (nothing personal btw) while putting in 100% of the effort and being at least 80% as productive as hugely demotivating.

I would have joined the team part-time a long time ago, if I knew that it was an option. Unfortunately, I thought that getting hired is a full-time thing only. All OGs got a 3000 Sushi grant, which while it is a nice gesture and I appreciate it, doesn’t change the fact that the last batch got 20k as their signing bonus, and that they have $1mil packages.

5 Likes

We voted to hire him
Sushi (snapshot.page)

2 Likes

Why not using the one that the community have been working on ?

I respect Joseph but the proposal to hire everyone at the same time was a bad idea.
just my 2 cents

3 Likes

The ‘cto’ doesn’t care :slight_smile:
He is paid for what? he doesn’t work the weekend, like a normal job, he is only on Twitter trying to have more followers and being popular, like a normal job.

He doesn’t read his own thread , section 1 and section 2 : 300K USD Package, section 3: 250K USD Package :sweat_smile:

Bad copy paste dear ‘CTO’ !

Sushiswap has huge shortcomings in human resources, organization and communication.The boat is close to sinking.

Sections 1 and 2 are labeled “examples”. Section 3 is the indicative salary grid that does not include any bonuses.

No other comments are necessary and I think I’ve explained my thoughts on your behavior sufficiently in the other thread.

1 Like

Totally, concur. Hiring in a single proposal proved controversial we’ve modified. We cannot change the past but we can improve moving forward.

This is a continuation of the proposal created my Pedrowww with edits made by myself, 0xMaki, and Pedrowww. I think it is a compromise between the necessity to have personnel on boarded as well as protecting our runway to ramp up the team. Exceptional candidates will get additional considerations for their salary on a case by case basis. We just needed to establish an acceptable range.

Yes, I agree with having team members have Sushi exposure. I think it provides the right type of incentives. Some team members have indicated that the instability would be problematic for them.

1 Like

So if someone wants to get hired, they simply submit a scope of project and their skills and hope that other people vote on them?

Is there a call for certain skillsets or roles publicly available to help guide them, so they know the time investment for writing the proposal is worth it?